Thursday, February 10, 2011

Romans 4A Being A Truely Blessed Man

BEING A TRULY BLESSED MAN
ROMANS 4A R0MANS 4:1-8
Introduction:
The Visitor

One day, a man went to visit a church. He arrived early, parked his car, and got out. Another car pulled up near him, and the driver told him, "I always park there. You took my place!"
The visitor went inside for Sunday School, found an empty seat, and sat down. A young lady from the church approached him and stated, "That's my seat! You took my place!" The visitor was somewhat distressed by this rude welcome, but said nothing.
After Sunday School, the visitor went into the church sanctuary and sat down. Another member walked up to him and said, "That's where I always sit. You took my place!" The visitor was even more troubled by this treatment, but still said nothing.
Later, as the congregation was praying for Christ to dwell among them, the visitor stood, and his appearance began to change. Horrible scars became visible on his hands and on his sandaled feet. Someone from the congregation noticed him and called out,
"What happened to you?"
The visitor replied, "I took your place."

I am ever so grateful that Jesus took my place.
We are truly blessed because He took our place. 
We are in Romans 4 today.
Paul recites the words of David in verses 7,8 talking about a blessed man.
I am going to make a statement that I know will rattle your cage.
A truly blessed man is not a working man.
A truly blessed man is a man who gets credit handed to him without earning it.
I am sure all of you have just said that Pastor has lost his mind.
I am going to back track.  That statement is not my statement.  It is Paul’s statement.
We are going to begin in Romans 4 verse 1 and see who then is a truly blessed man. 
Paul shares three pictures to help us understand that a blessed man is not a working man.

I.    Abraham

A.    The question is asked about Abraham.
It is well known, understood, and accepted that Abraham was their, the Jews, forefather. 
He is a vital part of their foundation.
Abraham carries a lot of weight. 
What does Abraham teach us about this works and faith issue?
What do we learn from him about this boasting thing? 
Was he justified before God by his works? 

B.    The answer
The second part of verse 2 says he had nothing to boast about before God. 
Paul begins the answer as he begins verse 3. 
We will find the answer in the Scripture. 
“Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness“. 
This is a quote from Genesis 15:6
Paul is even going earlier than Moses to Abraham.
Abraham is a great example of faith.
He maintained a loyal attachment to God and believed in his promises. 
We read about that a bit further here in chapter 4.
Genesis 12:1-3
Genesis 15:5,6
Hebrews 11:8-19
James 2:20-22
Faith generates actions.

C.    We begin to see that a blessed man is a man that has faith.
I did not become a child of my father by what I did.
You can not become a descendant of Abraham by what you do. 
We can not become a child of God by what we do.

II.    The worker and his wages
The second picture is a worker and his wages. 

A.    The working man gets wages.
A working man’s wages is not a gift.
How far would you and I get if we listed our income last year as a gift?
I didn’t earn anything last year.
My employer just gave me a gift.
How would you feel if your employer came us to you on payday and said I don’t feel like giving you your pay check this time.
Your check has been a gift check and I don’t have it in me today to give you a gift.
Wait a minute you agreed to pay me.
I earned it and you are obligated to pay me.
We could and probably would go further up the ladder in the company, or go to the labor union, or better business bureau.

B.    Earning and obligation are not a part of God.
Works necessitates debt or an obligation.
When a man works, someone owes him something.
If a man could work for righteousness, that is, work so God would owe him righteousness, then God would owe man.
But God, being God, is completely self-sufficient; therefore, He cannot be put in debt to any man.
He cannot be made or forced to do anything.

C.    We find that a blessed man is not a working man.

III.    David’s painting of a blessed man  vs. 6-8
The third picture is the picture that David paints about a blessed man.

A.    God credits righteousness apart from works.
Paul says that David’s picture says much the same thing to us. 
Paul says he is telling us about the blessedness of a man.
Whom God credits righteousness.
This righteousness is credited apart from works.

B.    Paul is quoting from Psalms 32:1,2
Listen to this entire chapter.
Blessedness, righteousness, forgiveness, are all a heart issue.
They are not the result of our hands.
They are a result of His nail starred hands.

C.    Psalms 1 shares some very powerful words.
He says the blessed man does not
Walk in the steps, the ways of the wicked.
Stand in the path that sinners take.
Sit in the seats or the company of the mockers.
The blessed man
Delights in the law of the Lord.
Meditates on that law day and night.
Delighting and meditation
Meditation has nothing to do with our hands or our feet.
Neither does delighting.
They are mind and heart issues.

Conclusion:   
Look at these pictures of a blessed man one more time.
A man of faith like Abraham who believed before the law was even given.
A man given gifts by a loving and merciful God not out of obligation like a employer, employee relationship.
A man blessed with righteousness from God and forgiveness of sins not because of what he has done but because of what God has done through His Only begotten Son.
I am blessed because that one with horrible scars on his hands and feet took my place.
I want to be a blessed man and my prayer for all of you is the same.

No comments: