Monday, February 15, 2010

BOLD PRINT, BOASTING, AND THE CROSS, GALATIANS 6:11-18

That was the title of the message I shared a week ago and it is the title of our blog post today.  What does this passage in Galatians have to say about these?
Paul states in verse 11 that he is writing this letter with his own hands and in bold print.  Bold print:  “See what large letters I use as I write to you with my own hand!”  Why was Paul using bold print?  It may have been because of a sight problem that he had.  He was blinded by the light on the road to Damascus at his conversion in Acts 9.  There were scales that fell from his eyes when Ananias prayed for him. He speaks about a thorn in the flesh in II Corinthians 12:7 that God would not take away from him.
Boast: Paul uses the word boast twice in this passage.  He said that he never wanted to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.  He said that the Judizers wanted to boast but their desire was to boast in the flesh of the Gentiles.  Paul says in Philippians 3:2-11 that he certainly has reason to boast but he choose to push all that he could boast about aside to win Christ.  This reminds us of the heart of the book of Galatians.  Paul did not want the Galatians to go back to Judaism.  He wanted them to stay true to Jesus. 
Cross:  That takes us to our last thought today, the cross.  My boasting will not be in myself nor in man but my boasting will only be in the cross. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 2:1-3,  1.  When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.   2. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling.
I don’t know if Paul was writing in bold print because of an eye problem or if it was for an emphasis because he wanted the Galatians to hear his heart.  However I do not want to miss Paul’s heart, his message about the value and the importance of the cross.  He was nailed to the cross for me.  So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross.  Lord, Lead me to Calvary.  I pray that you have a deep love, respect, and appreciation for the cross.

No comments: